Alocasia Lauterbachiana/ Purple Sword (Single plant)
Out of stock
Email when stock available
Quantity: A single plant with roots. (a minimum of 5 leaves)
Alocasia Lauterbachiana/ Purple sword
Alocasia also known as purple sword are impressive houseplant known for their color, texture, size and shape of leaves. What makes them really sand out are the green leaves that are long and narrow with wavy edges and purple undersides creating an interesting combination of color, texture and shape. It bears flowers of green and purple that bloom throughout the year.
Purple sword is an excellent indoor as well as outdoor plant. The plant usually reach a height of 3feet, with a width of 3 to 5feet indoors and can grow taller outdoors. They are native to northern New Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago and includes over 70 varieties.
The plant is a vigorous grower if provided with optimal conditions and care. They need plenty of light to thrive, especially when kept indoors. Bright indirect or bright filtered light are suitable. Avoid direct light. However a bit of early morning sun will not harm the plant.
Alocasia prefers warm temperatures between 65-85 degree fahrenheit. Avoid sudden changes in temperature. They prefer humidity so mist often. The plant is cold sensitive, hence keep them away from cold drafts.
Plant them in fertile, well-drained soil that is kept moist. Potting mixture designed for succulents are suitable as it contains materials that retain only a little bit of moisture and allow water to percolate easily. Alocasia grows well in slightly acidic to acidic soils (pH 5.5-6.5).
They need constant moist soil. This plant have need of not being overwatered but also not being underwatered. Water the plant only when topsoil feels dry. They enjoy weekly watering sessions, keeping their soil moist but not wet. Water using room temperature water, in smaller regular amounts.
Fertilize the plant using an all-purpose liquid plant fertilizer during summer and spring months. Fertilizing helps the plant to grow strong and produce new impressive foliage. During winter don’t fertilize at all as the plants stop rowing and do not require extra nutrients. Use weak formulations to avoid mineral build-up and fertilizer burn. As the plant can thrive even with little fertilizing, keep it at a rate of once a month starting during spring.
When repotting choose a pot that’s one to two sizes bigger than the original one. Make sure the pot drains well and is heavy enough to support the weight of the plant. The plant need not be transferred during the first two years but you can change the top soil. Repot it to a bigger pot when the plant is visibly larger. Alocasia can be propagated by removing the offshoots if any and planting them separately.
All these characters make purple sword a must-have for all gardeners, whether beginners or experts. These can be kept as floor plants or in some kind stand pols.
What makes it special:
• Low maintenance and easy to care
• Spirally arranged erect leaves
• Waxy green leaves with purple underside.
• Add color and texture to landscapes and containers.
• Fast growing.
Plant height 0.9m – 1.2m
Plant spread 2 – 3 feet
Common name Purple sword, silver sword
Maximum reachable height Up to 120 centimeters
Flower color Green and purple
Bloom time Throughout the year
Difficulty level Easy
Planting and Care:
• Bright, but indirect light.
• Fertile, well-drained soil that is kept moist
• Water the plants topsoil feels dry to the touch.
• Water using room temperature water.
• Water every day but in small quantity.
• Do not overwater the plant.
Application of fertilizer
• Use weak formulations to fertilize.
• Fertilize using all-purpose plant fertilizer.
• Do not fertilize during winter.
• Over fertilizing can lead to mineral build-up and fertilizer burn.
• Remove any dead or damaged fronds.
• In case of pests, dilute some neem oil and lightly mist the fronds.
• Slugs should be picked off and disposed.
• Use a damp cloth to clean the leaves and take out dust or spider webs.
• Keep them away from direct sunlight.
• Do not use soggy soil.
• Do not over water the plants.
• Protect the plant from direct exposure to air draft and change in temperature conditions.
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
• Keep the plant in natural sunlight, under shade.
• Poke the top soil using finger to check dampness.
• Add 1 cup of water when the top soil becomes dry.
• Do not repot for at least a week after receiving the order.
Key requirements to keep the plant healthy:
Bright indirect sunlight.
Water the plants only when the top inch of soil dries out.
65– 85 degree fahrenheit.
Potting mixes designed for tropical plants.
Purple sword special feature:
Waxy green leaves with purple underside.
Clean indoor air.
Boost mood and productivity.
Excellent indoor and outdoor plant.
Add bright and colorful touch to landscapes.
Used for stimulating skin and removing blotches.
The pounded stems are applied as a paste to scorpion stings.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.